Monday 6 October 2014

Northcliffe Understory

The day was overcast, with patchy rain, when I visited the Northcliffe Understory.  Some would be put off from going anywhere in this weather, but I ventured out anyway. It certainly proved that the weather doesn't always have to be perfect sunshine to make a day out in the Southern Forests enjoyable. 

It is only a short  drive to Northcliffe from Pemberton or Manjimup.  There are a few routes to choose from, and farm gate sales and stalls are scattered along the way - great for anybody who is keen to pick up some of the Genuinely Southern Forests produce that the region is renowned for.  

This amazing sculpture trail, known as the Northcliffe Understory, is located at the Northcliffe Information and Visitor Centre.  It is, by far, one of the region’s most unique visitor experiences.  The friendly staff offered me headphones and an mp3 player, so that I could listen to the audio of each artist talking about their sculpture - how the piece came about, what it means to them and what it means to the region.  "To listen, or not to listen?" I thought to myself, before quickly deciding "yeeeeh why not!" - I highly recommend taking this offer up. 

The Understory is a pleasant 1.2km, sculpture lined walkway, that winds through native forests.   The sculptures have been designed and built by both local and international artists, and every one of these sculptures tells a story.  The audio is in synch with the order of the sculptures, and as you proceed on your stroll, you're given valuable insight into each individual piece. There are even sculptures that are purposely placed in obscure locations, and I could figure out if this was to create a sense of mystery, or make it treasure-hunt-like.  Either way, it works. 





I feel like if I say too much more I'll give it all away.  I will say that I enjoyed it so much, that I did a second lap without the audio; almost as necessary as doing it with the audio, so the real sounds of the forest can be appreciated too.  I also took a lot of photos - some of which are pictured above - but they don't do any of the sculptures, or the general vibe of the Understory, any justice.   

It is something that can be experienced as a family, in a group or even on your own. Take your time and enjoy it - it deserves to be relished - and you'll see why this place touches so many hearts. 


Coming soon to the Understory is a new interactive sound sculpture! Denmark artist/musician Peter Keelan has recently taken part in community workshops to gather ideas, and develop a design concept, and he will be returning in November to start his sculpture.  Community members are encouraged to get involved by taking part in the build.  If you are interested, please contact Fiona Sinclair via info@southernforestarts.com.au. 

For more information on the Understory, visit  www.southernforestarts.com.au.


No comments:

Post a Comment